- Nutritional epidemiology with emphasis on nutrition-related non-communicable diseases
- Community-based health promotion
- Public health nutrition
- Nutritional assessment
- Analysis of complex health survey data
- Nutrition and health status of immigrant and refugee population
- Evaluating the impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on food insecurity in immigrants and refugees both nationally and internationally.
- Nutrition and health among Indigenous communities in Canada, Central America and Africa.
- Dietary intakes of Canadians and risk of obesity and chronic conditions.
- Evaluating the effect of nutrition and physical activity on bone and blood lipid profiles among Canadians.
- Immigrant health and nutrition.
- Vitamin D and disease activity in inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Evaluating the impact of menu planning resources and the cultural adaptation of “Healthy Start/Départ Santé” to improve nutrition, physical activity, and physical literacy in early learning facilities.
- Grain consumption of Canadians in association with health and disease.
- Calcium and vitamin D of Canadians in association with osteoporosis and CVD.
- “Eat Healthy, Play Healthy” initiative to promote healthy food environments in recreational facilities.
- PUBH 803.3 Developing and Delivering Health Promotion Online Course
- PUBH 898.3 Stunting and Bone Health
- NUTR 350.3 Community Nutrition
- NUTR 811.3 Advances in Public Health Nutrition
Recent Grants and Awards
As Principal Investigator:
Vatanparast, H. (PI). (2019). Pan-Canadian gathering to support healthy eating in recreation settings across Canada. University Conference Fund, University of Saskatchewan. $1,000 (CAD).
Vatanparast, H. (PI). (2019). Acute human feeding trials to define the minimum effective dose for reduction of post prandial blood glucose by two common market varieties of Canadian lentil. University of Guelph. $23,000 (CAD).
Vatanparast, H. (PI). (2018). Portable multisite quantitative ultrasound bone scanner and pediatric software. University of Saskatchewan. $14,500 (CAD).
Vatanparast, H. (PI). (2018). Milk and Alternatives food group consumption patterns, and nutrient contribution among Canadians. Dairy Farmers of Canada. $40,000 (CAD).
Sharma, S. (PI), Vatanparast, H., Kolahdooz, F. (April 2019-April 2020). Assessing vitamin D intake and status among populations with different skin pigmentation in Yellowknife. CIHR: Bridging Fund. $100,000 (CAD).
Racine, L. (PI), Maposa, S., Andsoy, I., & Vatanparast, H. (2018-2019). Breast cancer barriers and facilitators among Islamic/Muslim refugee women in Canada: A mixed method study. Sigma Theta Tau International/The Canadian Nurses' Foundation. $3,955 (USD).
Engler-Stringer, R. (PI), Martin, W., Muhajarine, N., Vatanparast, H., Black, J., Gilliland, J., Kirk, S., & Wittman, H. (2018-2019). Improving school food: universal integrated healthy lunch intervention research. College of Medicine / Office of the Provost and Vice-President Academic / Office of the President, University of Saskatchewan. $100,000 (CAD).
Henry, C. (PI), Shand, P., Vatanparast, H., Engler-Stringer, R., Jalal, C., Vassileva, J., & Froehlich-Chow, A. (2018-2021). An educational initiative to promote pulse consumption among early years children. Saskatchewan Pulse Growers. $100,000 (CAD).
Vatanparast, H., Islam, N., Prakash Patil, R., Shafiee, M., Smith, J., & Whiting, S. (2019). Snack Consumption Patterns among Canadians. Nutrients, 11(5), doi:10.3390/nu11051152
Vatanparast, H., Islam, N., Prakash Patil, R., Shamloo, A., Keshavarz, P., Smith, J., Manh Chu, L., & Whiting, S. (2019). Consumption of Ready-to-Eat cereal in Canada and its contribution to nutrient intake and nutrient density among Canadians. Nutrients, 11(5), doi:10.3390/nu11051009
Lane, G., Nisbet, C., Whiting, S.J., & Vatanparast, H. (2019). Canadian newcomer children’s bone health and vitamin D status. Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism. doi: dx.doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2018-0705
Khakpour, M., Iqbal, R., GhulamHussain, N., Engler-Stringer, R., Koç, M., Garcea, J., Farag, M., Henry, C., & Vatanparast, H. (2019). Facilitators and barriers toward food security of Afghan refugees residing in Karachi, Pakistan. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. doi: 10.1080/03670244.2019.1598982
Hosseini, S.H., Papanikolaou, Y., Islam, N., Patil, R., Shamloo, A., & Vatanparast, H. (2019). Consumption Patterns of Grain-Based Foods among Adults in Canada: Evidence from Canadian Community Health Survey-Nutrition 2015. Nutrients, 11(4), doi:10.3390/nu11040784
Hosseini, S.H., Papanikolaou, Y., Islam, N., Patil, R., Shamloo, A., & Vatanparast, H. (2019). Consumption patterns of grain-based foods among children and adolescents in Canada: evidence from Canadian Community Health Survey-Nutrition 2015. Nutrients, 11(3), doi: 10.3390/nu11030623
Hosseini, Z., Whiting, S.J., & Vatanparast, H. (2019). Canadians dietary intake from 2007 to 2011 and across different sociodemographic/lifestyle factors using the Canadian Health Measures Survey cycles 1 and 2. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2831969
Lawlor, M.R., Weaver, C.M., Craig, B.A., Whiting, S.J., Baxter-Jones, A.D.G., Vatanparast, H., & McCabe, G.P. (2018). Peak BMC growth and calcium requirements for children. In Weaver, C.M., Bischoff-Ferrari, H., Daly, R.M., & Wong, M.-S. (Eds.), Nutritional Influences on Bone Health: 10th International Symposium (pp. 37-44). Springer Nature: Cham, Switzerland. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-98464-3
Mehdizadeh, A., Shafiee, M., Khadem-Rezaiyan, M., Sardar, M.A., Vatanparast, H., Rose, E., Rajabzadeh, M., & Nematy, M. (2018). Evidence for the validity of the Children’s Attraction to Physical Activity (CAPA) scale in Iranian preschool children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2018.10.021